TAYLOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Taylor School was built during the school year of 1950-51, on property owned by Swan River School District #1047, just east of Duncan School. It was built by a Winnipeg Contractor, Frank Sawatsky, at a cost of $80,000.
The school was named after R. G. Taylor, who arrived in Swan River on January 1st, 1901, to be Principal of the Swan River two-room school. Later, he also taught in Minitonas. Mr. Taylor was active in the community as a business man, having founded Taylor’s Insurance and Land Agency in 1905. He was also very interested in community affairs and served on numerous committees. A Bible, which was given to him in 1901, is on display in the main entrance hallway at Taylor Elementary School.
W. E. Roberts was Chairman of the School Board at the time of the building of Taylor School. He was very involved in the planning and construction. He designed the underground heating system from Duncan School, which was used until Duncan burned down on July 29th, 1976.
Since it was just after the war and materials were hard to come by, Mr. Roberts obtained some parts for the heating system from the Air Force Base, Hangar #10, at Dauphin.
Taylor School was originally designed to house Grades one to six students, but some Grade eight classes were placed there as well. There were nine classrooms and an auditorium.
Bill Chrustie, who taught the Grade 8 class, was the first Principal in 1951. Other teachers at the time the school opened were: Grade 1- Polly Yanchuk, Gladwys Johnson; Grade 2- Bruce Graham, Violet Murray; Grade 3- Marie Campbell, Ruth Bilowus; Grade 4- Barb Schuweiller, Eugina Moore; Grade 8- Nicholas Yarich.
Plans were already in the making to add on to Taylor School when Duncan School burned in 1976. In 1977, the west “open area” wing of Taylor School was opened with room for four classrooms, a library, an office and a gymnasium.
Compiles by Avonna Moffat