Two Postings - Home School Coordinator SVRSS and Building Student Success with Indigenous Parents (BSSIP) Learning Support Worker
Home School Coordinator SVRSS
SVSD is inviting applications for a fulltime (8 hours/day) Home School Coordinator to work with all students with a primary focus on students from Sapotaweyak and Wuskwi Sipihk First Nations. This is a term position from September 2021 - June 29, 2022, but could become permanent.
Details of the position can be found at www.svsd.ca under careers/other. All applicants should send a resume, cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions about the position please contact Principal Jacquie Mydynski-Arp at email@example.com.
The position closes Monday, August 30, 2021 at noon.
The successful applicant would be expected to complete a criminal record check and the child abuse registry.
All candidates are thanked for their interest working in Swan Valley School Division but only those candidates chosen for an interview will be selected.
Job Description - Home School Coordinator SVRSS
Report and work under the direction of the Principal to act as a connection between home and the school to promote SVRSS beliefs of: Learning, Respect, Responsibility, and Safety by building and establishing relationships with students, school and families. Though this person can work with all students the focus of this role will be to provide support for the Sapotaweyak and Wuskwi Sipihk students.
- Build respectful relationships with parents/guardians/teachers/students/community
- Organizing extra curricular activities such as tutoring, evening events, movie night, youth nights, and community involvement.
- Promote the best possible achievement of students by:
- Promoting regular attendance through home visits and school visits.
- Interpreting school policies to parents and parental concerns to school officials in order to promote parental involvement in the education program.
- Building positive relationships with the SVRSS students.
- Promoting regular attendance by contacting parents or guardians and/or going on home visits.
- Advocating for student with SVRSS staff.
- Interpreting the SVRSS beliefs: learning, respect, responsibility and safety.
- Act as a liaison between the SVRSS staff and the Education Authority in regards to student learning and visit the Education Authority when needed.
- Collaborate and work with the Learning Support Team.
- Attend staff and Learning Support Team meetings and other pertinent school events.
- Assist the learning support staff of short and long-term goals by providing all necessary information relevant to students and their needs.
- Keep the Education Authority advised of all pertinent medical, cultural and home conditions that might affect the ongoing education of any students.
- Assist SVRSS staff in matters dealing with the student attendance, student retention, home communication, local programs awareness and other educationally and culturally relevant matters.
- Maintain files dealing with home visits, parental concerns, school concerns and any actions taken in each occurrence.
- Transport students as required.
- Office space will be provided at SVRSS for the Home School Coordinator.
The Swan Valley School Division invites applications for the following term position:
Building Student Success with Indigenous Parents (BSSIP) Learning Support Worker
Required Skills and Abilities:
- grade 12 diploma
- possess a valid driver’s license and have use of car
- ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- experience working with Indigenous children and their families
- ability to communicate in an Indigenous Language would be an asset
- good written and oral communication skills
- basic organizational skills, as well as preparing, maintaining and reporting skills
- ability to work independently and as a team member of both the school staff and division staff
- flexibility and adaptability to changing situations including hours of employment
- ability to present a positive attitude and work ethic
- ability to organize events, activities, and workshops
- work with smaller groups of students for remedial teaching or reinforcing the learning process
- ability to build a trusting relationship with students, teachers, and parents
- report directly to the Indigenous Academic Achievement Coordinator
- relevant postsecondary training or related work experience
- proficiency in the operation of computers, word processing applications and additional software comparable to those currently used in the school division
- 6.0 hours per day
- Monday to Friday – September 2021 to June 2022
- Salary is $16.17/hour plus 4% vacation pay
Closing date: Monday, August 30, 2021 at noon
Please note: It is the responsibility of each person hired to provide proof of criminal record and child abuse registry checks. We thank applicants in advance for their interest in working for the Swan Valley School Division. We will only contact candidates chosen for an interview.
Enclose a cover letter, resume, and references with contact information addressed to: Patti Hack, Student Services Achievement Coordinator, SVSD, 1481 3rd Street North, Box 995, Swan River, MB. R0L 1Z0. Phone: 734-4531; Fax: 734-2273; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org